A Bank With Pizazz, Decatur Federal Savings & Loan
by Melissa Carlson Forgey
This Decatur Federal Savings & Loan branch building was built in 1952. Located at 1807 Candler Road, the low-rise bank building is now home to DeKalb County’s Beautification Unit.
Its mid-century modern style was not the norm in Georgia; many banks stayed away from modern and preferred a Colonial Revival style. This building gets much of its pizazz from the covered arched walkway made from concrete.
The red brick building features a granite base and aluminum framed widows punctuated by synthetic blue flecked panels. The drive-through window is still on the side of the building and much of the hardscape appears to be original. Kudos to DeKalb County for maintaining this beautiful example of a mid-century modern bank!
The architectural rendering is from our archives.
DEKALB COUNTY CODE COMPLIANCE ADMINISTRATION 1807 Candler Road Decatur, GA 30032